Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Two Stars and a Moon


In this horrible traffic we have been dealing with in Lebanon for the past few weeks now, just enough to let people swear and lose their patience before the holidays, I looked up to the sky last Monday Dec. 1, and saw a beautiful sight: two stars and a moon...

The sky was very dark as no other stars were lighting it up; but something was so intriguing about those 2 stars and moon: They simply looked as if they were there chatting with each other...

When I was young I used to look at the moon and imagine there was a man up there, and I could see his silhouette very clearly... I still can see it sometimes...

Now I kept looking up and thinking, they are surely chatting about the world, maybe about the future of humanity? Or most probably about each human being? If they were, then I knew later that night exactly what they were talking about me and what was to happen to me that night; an unusual thing that kept me puzzled and sad... Actually a very puzzling week
if I can put it that way, but not all sad!

One of the most positive sentences I have ever read was a quote in the Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo.

When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.


But does that really happen in real life? Because to be honest, I am sure that when I really want something I wish for it so hard that it becomes an obsession, but then it never happens and worse is that I turn and I see it looking at me and laughing... As if it was so happy that it did not happen... Or is it that I did not wish too hard for it?

Last week I was attending the European Film Festival of Beirut and the first movie that I saw with a friend was so depressing (one of several depressing movies I saw at this festival) that it kept us both so quiet when we left the theater: Si le vent souleve le sable (Sounds of Sand) by Marion Hansel (based on the book Chamelle by Marc Durin). It is the story of an African nomad family who decides to leave the village in search for water. From one side the desert and from the other the rebels and war. Their wish was not that big; they were just looking for water, one of the least human rights. Of 10 people, 2 camels and severals goats, only 2 people made it_ found almost dead in the desert. It was a movie, but surely based on the lives of lots of people wishing to have the least in life, but not managing to achieve it...

So what were the two stars and moon talking about that night?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They were wondering who that beautiful woman was below, contemplating how beautiful they were

D said...

Oh!! And were they saying anything about you that night? Anonymous for ... ?